Hold your breath
Make a wish
Count to three
Come with me and you’ll be
In a world of pure imagination
Take a look and you’ll see
Into your imagination
Why do I read?
What is it about reading that is so special to me? It is simple…the magic! The magic of being transported to a different world. The magic of closing your eyes and seeing or being that character.
I remember being at school and reading Carrie’s War and in my mind all my characters looked a specific way. Then one rainy afternoon we had the opportunity to watch the film and I was devastated. None of the characters looked like they did in my mind.
And as time went on this didn’t change, The Secret Garden, Goodnight Mr Tom and of course Little Women so going forward I decided I would always read the book before I watched the film.
Fast forward 20+ years and this has not changed. I will still always opt for a book before the film. And at this point I should add I’m still a traditionalist and I still opt for a hard copy rather than on a screen.
So where does love fit into all this? Not all books are romantic books but do all books demonstrate love in some form or another? I think so…whether it’s the romantic kind of love or the friendship kind of love or more importantly the love you develop for yourself it’s all love right just in different ways.
- My Secret Sister by Lauren Westwood
- The Life You Left Behind by Debbie Howells
- Five Years from Now by Paige Toon
- The Book of Love by Fionnuala Kearney
- Once in a Lifetime by Chrissie Manby
- The Midnight Library by Matt Haigh
- A Life without You by Shari Low
- Let’s Talk…Big
- Let’s talk…The girl who calls me Mama
- The Best is Yet to Come by Katy Colins
- The One plus One by JoJo Moyes
- The Chocolate Run by Dorothy Koomson